Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Rank the SEC coaches (including staffs).

And if you had to pick only one current SEC coach to coach your hypothetical team, which would you choose?

My rankings of the top five:

1. Auburn / Tuberville
I think the combination of Al Borges and Will Muschamp takes a backseat to no one in the conference, and maybe in the US. Borges led an undefeated offense in his first season, something Spurrier has never done. Muschamp won a national championship. Tuberville is the perfect CEO. And Auburn now has a winning record against every team in the SEC (except Florida) over the past 20 years or so.

2. Georgia / Richt
You can't argue with success. But Richt is 2-3 against Auburn and 1-4 against Florida.

3. South Carolina / Spurrier
I still find that hard to type.
By himself, Spurrier ranks third on the list. Give him some players and a solid defense and watch out.

4. Arkansas / Nutt
I'm anxious to see what Houston Nutt will do with a more wide-open offensive philosophy this year. He always gets his teams to play hard and they're rarely, if ever, a given win for another team. With top-flight talent and a slightly more imaginative offense...??

5. LSU / Miles; Florida / Meyer
All I saw from these two coaching staffs last year was frustration. Despite only losing two games, LSU never quite seemed like the juggernaut they were under Saban. I am nowhere near convinced of Les Miles's credentials, yet. Show me something. (Just not the week you play Auburn, please.) Same for Urban Legend. I will believe he is the Man when I see Florida open a can on Auburn in Jordan-Hare. It could happen, sure. He's called a genius and they have the talent, plus a seasoned QB. We shall see.

Also of note:
Tennessee
Man, did they ever destroy my opinion of them last year. I don't think they ever knew what they were doing, except maybe in the second half against LSU. I keep reading about how Cutcliffe will make everything right again. Um. Same players, pretty much. Again, we'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home